Bay Oaks annual Health Fair will be held on Saturday, Feb. 25, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the campus gymnasium. The event is free to anyone interested in attending.
There will be professionals from many different health related fields. The health and safety fair will allow people to learn about many different health topics including an opportunity to give blood.
A few of Bay Oaks fitness instructors will be here to explain each of their classes.
If you work in the health and safety field and would like to participate, we are still accepting vendors. It is free for Health and Safety related vendors to participate in. If you would like more information or are interested in being a part of the fair please call 765-4222.
Bay Oaks has many ways to help you get in shape
Are you looking to get in shape? Or just get a little exercise and have a little fun. If so come to Bay Oaks Recreation Campus. We have a variety of fitness classes to keep you moving.
- Aerobics: Our aerobics class is every Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays at 8:30 a.m. This class is low impact and is $7 (members) or $9 (nonmembers) for a class or $39 (members) or $49 (nonmembers) for a month.
- Line Dancing/Salsa Dancing: Line dancing class is taught by Lu Carter and is quickly becoming a favorite. At the Tuesday class you will learn the cha-cha, the Charleston, waltz, and a few more favorites. The Thursday class offers more of a salsa fell. The Thursday salsa call is a combination of Zumba, line dance, salsa, cha-cha, cumbia, and meringue all performed to Latin muic. Cost is $5 for nonmembers and $4 for members. For additional information please call Lu Carter at 463-5709.
- Zumba: Zumba is on Tuesday and Thursday at 6 p.m. For anyone that has not attended a Zumba Class, come see what all the buzz is about. Anyone over age 18 is able to attend and experience is not necessary. Cost is $5 for non-members and $4 for members.
- Yoga Pilates: From Jan. 3 to March 15 on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 9 to 10 a.m.. enjoy the process of strengthening the body, improving flexibility while exercising with a professional certified instructor. The class includes a blend of Yoga postures and pilates exercises with cardio intervals. Focused breathing and relaxation techniques are also part of the session. Hand weights are provided along with mats. Cost for the 11-week (22 classes) session is $130 for members or $175 for non-members. You may drop in for a $10 member or $12 for non-member.
- RPM Fitness Spin: If you are looking for a different way to exercise check out Bay Oaks newest class RPM Spin Class. Rpm Spin Class offers something for everyone. Ride a bike to tunes that will get your pulse racing. Each class offers a 45-minute ride. Classes are 5 days a week: Mondays at 6 and 7:30 p.m.; Wednesdays at 10 a.m.; Thursdays at 6 and 7:30 p.m., Fridays at 10 a.m., and Saturdays at 10 a.m. Classes cost $6 for members and $8 for nonmembers. You can come to one class or you can come to them all! For additional questions, call 765-4222.
- Senior Yoga Class "Tai Chair": Seniors enjoy beginner's yoga stretches, basic tai chi movement while improving muscle tone and balance. The 30-minute session includes using a chair for most exercises. The class will be instructed by Jack Barone. The 30-minute senior exercise class will cost $6 for members of Bay Oaks and $8 for nonmembers. The class is held every Thursday at 10 a.m. For more information, call 765-4222.
- New Senior Cycle/Flexibility/Toning Class: Bay Oaks will now be offering a combination class of Spinning (cycling), Flexibility Coordination and Toning Segments designed for seniors. Each class participants will warm up to a 15-minute cycle ride to music followed by a silver sneakers class consisting of flexibility coordination and toning segments. The goals of this class will be to keep participants flexible, improve their health and circulation and to socialize and have fun. The class is held every Friday at 10 a.m. Class cost $6 for members and $8 for non-members. For more information, call 765-4222.
- Youth Dance Class: Bay Oaks is excited to announce a change to the youth dance class. The dance class will no longer be drop in, but instead will be an eight-week session culminating in a performance at the end of the session. Each session will go from 11:30 a.m. through 1 p.m. The dances taught will be a combination of hip-hop, jazz, and ballet. The instructor for all of these classes is Lydia Frantz. Lydia is a Beach resident and has more than 15 years of formal training. The sessions will each cost $50 for nonmembers and $40 per session for members. If you have any questions, please call 765-4222.
- Youth Inline Roller Hockey: Beginning on Jan. 18, Bay Oaks will be offering an introductory Inline Roller Hockey for kids between the ages of 7-13. The program will introduce the participants to the Sport of Hockey. Classes will be 60 minutes long with 20 minutes of skating skills, 20 minutes of stick and balls skills, and 20 minutes of fun games and scrimmages. Skills taught will include forward stride, backward stride, starting and stopping, balance, transitions, pivoting, turning, edgework, proper use of a hockey stick, stick handling of a hockey ball, passing, receiving, and shooting. The cost per class is $10 for non-members and $80 for members. For more information, please call 765-4222.
- Senior Drop in Softball every Thursday at Bay Oaks: Beginning in January, Bay Oaks will offer drop in (pick up) softball for anyone 55 and up. Drop in softball will be every Thursday at 10 a.m. Bring your glove and be prepared to have a good time. There is no charge to participate. If you have questions or need more details, contact Randy or at 765-4222.
--submitted by Randy Norton